If you find yourself struggling to talk about what you do, don't worry, you're not alone. Most people are not connecting with potential clients because the words on their website are confusing.
Many business owners I know have trouble pitching their business in a way that is clear and gets people excited about how you can help them. We struggle to connect with our words, both in-person and online.
It makes sense why this happens. When we know a lot about our area of expertise, relaying all that information can sometimes confuse and overwhelm your potential clients. We think and speak at a level nine (out of ten) when the people we are trying to reach are not nearly that sophisticated in their understanding of our business and what we do.
The curse is that the people that we can help the most don't understand how we can solve their problem and help them win because we confuse them. When we confuse, we lose our chance to make the critical connection required to move forward with a new client.
Clarifying your message with a simple framework that connects is the best way to get over the curse of knowledge.
Here are some of the benefits of having a clear message:
- You can identify your ideal client and understand what they desire most.
- Enables you to engage those you aim to serve while keeping essential details about your services simple and easy to remember.
- Identifies the struggles they are facing in a way that the words capture their attention (people get hooked when you talk about their problems).
- Strategizes plans for establishing your company as the best solution for clients to come to you for solutions to their problems.
- Establishes what success looks like for your clients and then focuses our efforts on marketing towards that.
Get Clear uses the StoryBrand Framework. The framework we use to create clear marketing messages has helped companies all over the world get over the curse of knowledge. We encourage you to work through the above points before you try to put any words on your website.